Stewart, that is. I thought I’d start a new blog full of recipes, crafts, and just stuff I’m interested in or have found useful. I’m not the craftiest person. I’m not the best cook. But I do have lots to say and now you all can partake. But let’s face it, I’m no Martha.

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Homemade Kettle Corn

DROOOOOLLL… I love this stuff. I wait every year for the NC State Fair to come in October so I can stuff my face full of this stuff. It’s one of my favorites. Well after many many tries, I have perfected popping this delectable snack on my stove… without burning it… which is a challenge in itself.  It’s really easy (once you get the hang of it) and TOTALLY worth it. Here’s some step by step instructions. Try it!!

IMG_0021

What you’ll need:

  • A bag of popcorn kernels – 1/2 cup
  • 1/4 oil
  • 1/4 sugar
  • salt – sprinkle to your hearts desire

Make sure you use a large pot that has a fitted lid.
Take your oil and pour into pot.
Heat your burner to a medium-high heat.
Drop in 3 popcorn kernels.
Put your lid on and listen carefully.

IMG_0023

When you hear 3 pops, take off your lid and add in your 1/2 cup of kernels and your sugar and stir around (do all of this quickly). Replace your lid again and lower your heat a little (medium- low). I keep the pan moving back and forth until I hear popping. Once it gets pretty active in there lift your pot every 3 counts, and then lower it on the heat again. Repeat. Sometimes I don’t even put it back on the heat and I just keep my shaking it back and forth in the air. Make sure you have one hand firmly on the lid and use 2 pairs of oven mitts (one for each hand) because the oil may pop out of the lid a little. Once the kernels have stopped popping open your lid and add your salt. I usually just put some in the palm of my hand and sprinkle it (like feeding the chickens). Be sure to stir it so the salt covers evenly. It’s really hot when it first comes out so let it cool (especially for the kids). The darker pieces are where the sugar has caramelized. Sooo Yummy!! Enjoy and don’t get discouraged if it doesn’t come out perfect the first time. Practice makes perfect!

IMG_0028

No comments:

Post a Comment